[VHFcontesting] Yaesu FT-736R

Terry Signature terry at directivesystems.com
Sat Jul 8 12:49:18 EDT 2017

Partially correct - yes the FT736 only takes commands, there is no
feedback or polling. I wrote a program on an old CP/M system back in
1983 when I got my FT736 but without polling, it's not very useful. Most
modern software doesn't support the rig either. The only items you can
poll is the s-meter (pretty useless) and the status of the squelch
(almost as useless!!). You could also set up the duplex for crossband
operation. The radio came with the CAT interface but it's a DIN
connector and operates at TTL levels so you need to use a MAX232 or
similar chip to get RS232 levels. I think Yaesu's incarnation was a
FIF-232 but the Kenwoood unit for a TS850 worked with the correct pinout
on the DIN.

Hope this helps!

Terry Price, W8ZN