[VHFcontesting] FT8 on 2m

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Thu Jul 13 13:59:17 EDT 2017

Thanks for the link.   Re operating above 144.300 I would want to stay well clear of the usual APRS frequency (144.39 ?).  I'm not convinced having  a weak signal mode using SSB radios near a FM based packet mode would work out well and I suspect the weak signal operators will be the losers in this situation.

Some one smarter than me can probably speak to what a sensible frequency separation should be given typical amateur transmitter noise levels and receiver performance.   After looking at the lower portion of the 2M band with a spectrum scope I suspect some transmitters are "cleaner" than others.

Here in western Canada we also have strong non amateur signals immediately below the 2M band, between those non amateur signals and APRS, 144.200 seems to be a nice spot for weak signal work IMHO.   I also use cavity filters at my home station (and occasionally while roving) with an approx 50 KHz bandwidth, but I realize we need to think globally and cramming every thing into a narrow window doesn't make much sense.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com