[VHFcontesting] Using FT8 in the CQ WW VHF contest.....

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Fri Jul 14 11:18:56 EDT 2017

Hello VHF contesters....the CQ WW is bearing down fast.  It has always
been one of my most favorite contests.  The CQ WW was the first VHF
contest to allow limited assistance for those doing digital meteor
scatter or digital EME.  It was and is a great contest.

However, with the release of the latest version of WSJT-X v1.8.0, there
is a new mode that seems to be very interesting. It is called FT8 and
appears to be a mode adapted for long haul tropo rather than meteors or
EME.  It seems very promising. HOWEVER, there may now be a problem with
the CQ rules.  Since this new mode is not used for meteor scatter or
EME, it appears to me that assistance would not be allowed under the
rules.  I have sent Steve-N8BJQ a letter requesting
clarification(reproduced below).

Unfortunately, the time is short, so even if a ruling is forthcoming,
widely publicizing the answer will be a problem.  I don't want a DQ for
using assistance with this new mode and I don't want anyone else to get
one either.

I will certainly be on for the CQ contest, so look for me as usual....

73 Marshall K5QE

******************Letter to Steve-N8BJQ********************

Hello Steve....The newest version of WSJT-X has a new mode called FT8.
It is a relatively narrowband mode that uses 15sec sequencing.  This
mode is intended for long haul tropo contacts rather than meteor scatter
or EME.  The CQ rules allow assistance for stations doing digital meteor
scatter or digital EME.  SO, it appears to me that this new mode would
not qualify for assistance.

I will bet that many(most) will not see it that way.  When the rules
were written, something like this did not exist, so of course, there was
no rule for or against it.  While the mode is clearly "legal" and it
looks like it may become a really important thing, I don't want to be
disqualified because I used the Internet for assistance IF that
assistance does not follow the rules.

It is very late now, so any ruling on this needs to be made quickly and
posted widely.  Even still, there will be those that "do not get the memo".

Your thoughts?

Thank you for your consideration....

73 Marshall K5QE