[VHFcontesting] FT8 and the CQ VHF contest

Bob K0NR - email list list at k0nr.com
Fri Jul 14 17:59:37 EDT 2017

Thanks, Steve N8BJQ.

I went back and looked at the rules (again), which say this about
assistance:

>     IV. QSO Alerting Assistance
>
> The use of any technology or other source that provides callsign or
> multiplier identification along with frequency information about a
> signal to the operator. This includes, but is not limited to, use of
> DX Cluster, packet, local or remote callsign and frequency decoding
> technology (e.g., CW Skimmer or Reverse Beacon Network), or operating
> arrangements involving other individuals.
>
>  1. All stations are allowed to use QSO Alerting Assistance. *No
>     self-spotting or asking to be spotted is allowed.*
>  2. *Stations attempting digital EME or digital meteor-scatter QSOs
>     are allowed to spot the callsign, frequency, and sequence only.
>     Caution:* To ensure strict compliance with these rules, the
>     adjudication process will include review of realtime and archived
>     transcripts from websites used to coordinate alerting data during
>     the contest period.
>  3. The use of non-amateur means to effect a QSO is not allowed. This
>     includes use of the telephone, and website posts providing
>     information *beyond* that of callsign, frequency, and sequence.
>  4. *Rovers may use APRS to announce their location.*

I think the rules are pretty clear. A key point is to not confuse
self-spotting for meteor-scatter and EME with self-spotting for all
digital modes. Self-spotting for M-S and EME is allowed but not allowed
for general digital use (e.g., JT65, FT8, etc.)

73, Bob K0NR