[VHFcontesting] June VHF - N1BUG - FN55

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Jun 13 01:00:09 EDT 2017

N1BUG - ME - FN55
Single Op HP

6m: 218 QSOs, 95 mult
2m:  39 QSOs, 21 mult

Thoughts:

Finally operating with high power on 2m again!!! Loving it!!!

6m and 2m amplifiers performed flawlessly. Entire station performed
flawlessly, although the operator is still in need of sharpening
after 10 year break. Working on it. Logging was cumbersome, hence I
have some software changes I want to make before the next contest.

For the first time EVER I had sensible, easy band switching. Much
has to happen when going from 6 to 2 or HF to 2. RF path needs to be
re-routed, one amplifier enabled while ensuring no other is (there
can be some issues with sharing a common 4 kV supply), set power
level of transceiver, etc. If my new system which I have dubbed
FRABS (Fool Resistant Automated Band Switching) has an Achilles'
heel it is that it requires a PC to work. All band switching is
handled by clicking a user defined control that automates all the
various band change tasks. I hammered on FRABS this weekend with
frequent band changes. It worked perfectly. The system is plug and
play expandable for more bands - through 1296.

My 6m station is capable of full QSK. 2m is not, requiring a
sequencer. Naturally I forgot this a few times while operating 2m
but even with the transceiver still on full QSK nothing bad happens
thanks to station design. One lesson I have been slow to learn is
that resources spent on basic infrastructure and fool proofing is
worth it in the end even if it means having fewer bands. Perhaps if
there wasn't a resident fool... ??

Propagation: The only notable tropo enhancement on 2m was during the
warmest part of Saturday afternoon... huh. It was short lived. Best
6m Es was Sunday afternoon but not really all that great. Always a
limited footprint. Did manage to get some DX: PY, VP2E, KP2, ZF, C6, XE.

Perhaps openings on 6m played a role but it seemed to me 2m activity
was well down from the "old days". My current station is much more
capable, yet QSO and grid count on 2 was down from the 80s-90s-00s.
Many, if not most on the chat rooms were not particularly interested
in attempting to work FN55 if it involved anything over 300 miles.
Next contest I will be more aggressive in chasing stations I want to
work.

I want more bands! (I must be getting greedy in my old age)

--
Paul
N1BUG  160m-2m         DXCC Honor Roll