[VHFcontesting] [PNWVHFS] DN56

Paul Kiesel k7cw at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 14:36:25 EDT 2017

A number of years ago, 12 or so, K7KX and I operated a June contest from DN56. We hauled a trailer from CN87 containing two towers, generators, decent antennas. We did okay and as I recall, we won multi-op for Northwestern Division. We had a great location with flat terrain or better in all directions. Our cliff-top setup could not have been better. We did well on 6-meters, as the band was in good condition for the contest. 2-meters and 70-centimeters was tough going though. We did make contacts on those bands, but it was hard getting the attention of stations that were nearest (not very near). A good number of the ops that we reached attempted to help by letting others know we were there, but we had to work for what we got. We were there for 5 nights, I think. Every afternoon at 3 o'clock a storm would develop just to the west of our location. It would drift overhead and let loose with an energetic local deluge complete with large hail stones and lightning. It was okay operating in DN56, but it was too far to drive with all that gear.

73, Paul K7CW