[VHFcontesting] 6M on the K3s...

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Sat May 6 18:06:29 EDT 2017

Hello to all K3s gurus.....Bill-N5YA wants to use his new K3s for the
primary 6M radio on our DXpedition to Zone2.  I think that the generally
held knowledge on the K3 was that it was deaf on 6M, hence the special
preamp that one had to install on the back.

Is the K3s also deaf on 6M or is this problem now a thing of the past??

IF the K3s is still poor or weak on 6M, can we install an EME class
preamp on the back where the Elecraft preamp would normally be
installed??  I believe that there is NO transmit power between those two
BNC connectors.  I had a K3 for a bit and I know that you have to find
the menu choice where you turn on the 6M preamp, so I assume that would
have to be done using a non-Elecraft preamp.

Can someone help us here, please?  Any other information that I need to
know?

I know that the K3 and K3s are both good radios for HF and we may be
doing a bit of that too, but since our primary effort with this radio
will be 6M, I wanted to be sure we could hear....

Thanks for any help...

73 Marshall K5QE
Phone is 409-787-3830 if you want to talk.....