[VHFcontesting] W9SZ/R Spring Microwave Sprint

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Sun May 7 10:12:39 EDT 2017

This Sprint is always an adventure. I never know what will happen or who
will show up. This year was no exception. I started out on the top level of
a parking garage in Elmhurst, IL at the suggestion of Pete K9PW. Got
everything ready to go just a little past the starting time of 8 am.
Everything seemed to be working OK. The wind was a bit brisk and I had to
keep an eye on the antennas to make sure they didn't blow over. I had a 15
foot mast with 902 and 1296 and a small 2m beam on it, and a dish for the
higher bands. We were using 144.260 for liaison.

There turned out to be a lot more activity than I expected and it got to be
rather frantic changing bands and swinging antennas around. Later in the
morning, I seemed to have a problem with the 2.3, 3.4 and 5.7 GHz bands. I
couldn't hear well. Others told me I was plenty loud at their end. Some of
the QSO's look a lot longer than I'd have liked.

I had planned on moving to Greene Valley scenic overlook near Bolingbrook,
IL in EN51xr at about 10:30 am. I ended up leaving for there two hours
later than expected. I arrived a little after 1 am (leaving less than an
hour to set up and make some QSO's). I decided to forego the 902 and 1296
antennas and just set up the 2m beam and the dish. I managed four more
QSO's from EN51xr. I could hear just fine on the bands I had trouble with
earlier, so I still haven't figured out the problem at the earlier location.

This is how I did:

>From EN61av:
Band / # QSO's / Total distance for band (km)
902 / 4  / 225
1296 / 7  / 318
2304 / 3  / 210
3456 / 1  / 28
5760 / 2  / 49
10368 / 4  / 238
24192 / 1  / 28

>From EN51xr:
2304 / 1  / 20
3456 / 2  / 92
10368 / 1  / 72

Total 1280 distance points (km)

Best DX was from EN61av with Lloyd N9LB in EN52hv (near Madison, WI)
at 161 km on 902, 1296, 2304 and 10368. Highlight of the contest was
probably working Mike AA9IL on 24192 MHz.

73, Zack W9SZ

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>