[VHFcontesting] Kenwood TV-506

Michael Sapp wa3tts at verizon.net
Mon May 29 12:49:28 EDT 2017

> > Has any one used one of these not on a 820 that it was made for? I
> > picked up a nice one  (no cable) and was going to see how it worked with
> > my K2. Any hints? Thanks Mike

Mike:  I recall W3KWH Steel City ARC had the TV-506 and TV-502 pair in the
late 1980s.  They seemed to work reasonably well although I recall we had to
replace the first dual-gate FET in the receive converter a few times from
static discharge damage.

It is old enough to treat it like an AA5 radio and check all the larger
value (.01 & up) ceramic disc bypass caps with an in-circuit ESR meter.
(Electrolytics as well.) Some of the lower cost ESR meters will not measure
above 100 ohms at 100kHz, (.01uf around 150 ohms @ 100kHz) but a basic DC
test value with on ohm meter under 10M-ohm for a ceramic disc cap I would
definitely replace....seems like .1uF and up C values tend to degrade faster
than the smaller values. I would think a more common DC test value on a disc
cap should be 100M-ohm to 500M-ohm or more.  Silver Mica caps seem to act
opposite at times, small value pf values sometimes fail with their small
surface area per volt....

Try not to jam the tuning slugs, a drop of telfon or silicone oil on the
core perimeter would not hurt if you absolutely feel the need to tweak them.

Thanks for the flashback memory ~:)

73, Mike wa3tts