[VHFcontesting] Any one use an FT-991A with a mast mounted pre amp?

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Mon Nov 20 10:32:21 EST 2017

Pat

Thank you for the great description.  A simple variant of what you have done should suit my needs nicely.

73
John
KM4KMU

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 Pat Patterson <ppattrsn at swbell.net> wrote:

Hi John,

I have a FT991A in my Rover.  I don't have preamps (except those built into "brick" power amps).  I use a headset with Yaesu mic connector adapter.  PTT on the front panel jack is broken out by the adapter...1/8" jack for Mic and 1/4" for PTT .  I use a foot switch to key a PTT relay that, through band select relays, keys band specific T/R switches and AMPs.  I have a small fixed delay from that relay to the PTT lead on the front panel of the FT991A. I have VOX and CW Break-in disabled.  I'm adding bands and preamps so there will be some form of sequencer in the future.

Best I can tell, the TX INH lead on the FT991A Linear/Tuner DIN jack will prevent any RF from being made by as long as it is held high (over 5V).  So, If you can provide >5V to TX INH until your Preamp is safely conditioned for transmitt that should eliminate the possibility of screwing up with VOX or Break-In on CW....overriding the front panel PTT lead.   Here a nice article by David, VK3HZ, that layouts out a sequencer for use with a Yaesu FT-817 and transverters/Amps.  http://www.vk3hz.net/sequencer/FT817_Sequencer.pdf .  I think all Yaesu rigs that have TX Inhibit leads work the same way.

Enjoyed visiting with you at the Pack Rats conference.  Good luck in the January Test.

73,

Pat, W5VY