[VHFcontesting] FM contesting

Rick R rick1ds at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 19:15:08 EST 2017

There was an excellent presentation on use of FM in VHF Contesting at the Mid-Atlantic States VHF Conference in October. The presenter operated only 4 band FM from his vehicle parked on a high spot (not roving) using mostly vertical short beams, although they were tilted to almost 45 degrees to be able to have gain to work the horiz pol guys.  He did nicely, and reminded us that many folks who may respond to a CQ on FM simplex have no idea what VHF Contesting is about and they do not necessarily know what a grid square is or which one they are in and need some assistance in getting to the proper exchange. However, there are hams who are more than happy to participate.

My personal experience has been that 223.5FM is the most productive as many folks have something on 222FM if not on SSB/CW. I use a 5/8 whip on my rover van for both 223.5 and 146.52/55/58. On occasion, I can work folks with a multi-band walkie including 446.000, after an initial QSO on 146. Rick, K1DS