[VHFcontesting] FM antennas

Sean Waite waisean at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 01:06:28 EST 2017

Hi John,

The FM king replies :) I don't think we'll end up with anything nearly the
size of what you run, your beams are larger than the beams we're running on
sideband. We have ready access to the little 3 element arrow yagis, 7
elements on 70cm, and if we went with a beam that would likely be what we'd
use. It's good to have the direct comparison between your yagis and
verticals, the multiband verticals can get kind of screwy in their pattern.

We're probably always 100-150 miles within a population center in New
England, unless you get WAY out there in upper VT or out in Maine
somewhere. The most remote site we've gone to is Mt Equinox in FN34, VT.
It's only 115 miles from Boston as the RF flies, and under 50 miles to
Albany.

We've no plans to carry FM beams larger than our SSB/CW beams. If we get
bigger beams, we'd just put them on sideband and be louder there. The 6-8'
booms we run are about as big as we'd like to have on there anyway. We
might end up with some power amps, right now we run barefoot (100W on 6 and
2, 6? 7? watts on 1.25 and 25W on 70). I like the idea of multiplexers,
might be something to look into for assorted other tasks.

I'm always a little hesitant to call CQ on the FM calling frequencies, and
don't have much faith in finding people off of the calling frequencies.
We'll usually just toss out a little "hey, anyone out there operating in
the VHF contest this weekend? We'd love to work you if you are" or similar
a few times.

We haven't been chased off by any bears yet, but we did nearly get run off
by the foul stench of a dead one that had been rotting for a while.
Lightning killed our Sunday in Sept 2016, aluminum and storms don't mix
well.

Getting time to chat on the phone is rough, it's usually work -> home for
dinner -> kid's bed time -> oh crap how did it get so late. If you can
reach out 250+ miles it might actually be feasible to work you from South
PA when we're there in January, so perhaps a phone call around then might
be in order to attempt to coordinate. We'll be running loops on sideband
mostly, but if the opportunity presents for some good mults we're willing
to try out crazy.

Thanks and 73,
Sean WA1TE