[VHFcontesting] N1BUG FN55

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sun Sep 10 23:04:29 EDT 2017

Band   QSOs  Grids
------------------
50:      19     10
144:     38     17
222:      1      1
432:      1      1

Another very slow contest. I operated CW/SSB only. I had constant
power line noise on 6 meters and three hours of brutal rain static
on both bands during prime Saturday hours. As usual I spent most of
my time on 2 meters. I only went to 6 when asked to QSY or if I
happened to overhear someone moving there.

I did manage several 400-450 mile 2 meter QSOs with signals peaking
to S8 at times. Just one QSO past "the wall" at 510 miles, peaking S3.

Thanks to W1XR for working me on 222 and 432. I was running an
Agilent E8285A into my 2 meter antenna! Power was -10 dBm. CW keying
was by means of shorting two wires together! I cut a piece of coax,
soldered the shield tails together and used the two free ends of the
center conductor for keying. T/R switching was by means of moving an
N connector between the RF in/out (Tx) and Antenna (Rx) ports and
toggling between RX Test (for Tx) and TX Test (for Rx) modes on the
E8285A. The distance to W1XR is 5.6 miles. My signal was reported to
be quite strong on both bands with significant backwave on 432,
obviously due to capacitive coupling in the keying circuit!

As usual Sunday morning wasn't worth being in the chair for. 99% of
what can be heard is stations setting up to run bands. Several of
them I had not worked (and never did work) because the only possible
way is to constantly call while they are trying to make arrangements
hoping one of the operators will realize there is someone else
calling. It isn't my style and rarely works anyway.

73,
Paul, N1BUG FN55mf
50:  1500W, 13 dBi at 105'
144: 1500W, 16 dBi at 110'