[VHFcontesting] Log Periodic ?

Pete K0BAK rxr978-vhf at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 13 18:31:39 EDT 2017

When I just got started in VHF roving about 4 years ago, I thought the log periodic made sense too. I purchased one, but am embarrassed to admit I didn't realize it was a bit too wide to be taken pointing forward at 118 inches. The 6.6 ft boom might fit sideways, but you'd have a lot of mount torque at highway speeds, and maybe you'd need to mount it at an offset from vehicle centerline since the antenna mount is not centered on the antenna boom.
Besides this, you need to switch in bands either manually or with relays. Losses and costs in switching components get worse and worse as you move up in frequency. If you're starting with one of the radios that provide 3 VHF bands (50, 144, 432), that won't be a problem if you start on just those 3 bands, but as soon as you add another one (222, 903, 1296), you have to deal with switching those bands into the antenna.
For all this complication, you get mediocre to poor performance compared to similar length single band beams.
I'll be interested to hear what more experienced VHFers think on this reflector.
-- Pete K0BAK