[VHFcontesting] Digital Questions

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Mon Sep 18 17:10:46 EDT 2017

Hello Ron and others interested in this topic....

I think that all this will sort itself out in a fairly short time.  Some
believe that ALL VHF contesting will go to FT8. Others say that ALL VHF
contesting will be digital.  I firmly believe that these folks are lost
and that the scores will prove me correct.  IF all digital will give you
more points in the long run, then smart contesters will go that way.

I am a good operator, but certainly not a great one.  I know some great
ones and they make me look pretty bad.  Still, I can run 150 contacts
per hour on 6M SSB when the band is open.  The really good ones can run
over 200 per hour.  Let me know when the digital modes get up to that.
FT8 takes 1 minute even if everything is perfect.  Then it is hard to
get to the next station without 15sec or 30sec loss.  I would be very
interested in the claimed "run rate" for FT8.

In VHF contesting, I believe that the digital modes will be an addition
to the traditional SSB/CW contesting not the primary mode of
contesting.  The September 2017 contest proves that every general rule
has an exception.  We did not work a single SSB contact on 6M via Es.
We worked locals, up to 300 miles, on SSB but nothing long haul.  So, we
spent hours on MSK144 working new grids that way.  We did not work
hardly any FT8, because the guys there were sending the "funny little
numbers" and you could not complete with them.

I(and I hope everyone else) want more stations participating in VHF and
VHF activities, such as contesting.  We just have to get on the same
page.  Somehow, we need the guys coming from the HF world to understand
the we need GRIDS.  If we can accomplish that, the rest of it will fall
into place....

GL to all...73 Marshall K5QE