[VHFcontesting] Informal contests vs. activity nights...

Alan Larson wa6azp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 14:12:12 EDT 2018

Patrick Thomas <p-thomas at mindspring.com> writes:
> Many of you are aware of the common "activity nights" listed in the ARRL
Operating Manual:
> . . .
> On the other hand, weeknights at 6-10PM are not ideal times to drive out
to a ridge and operate!
 for an hour or two, or to activate a SOTA site or local park...

  I believe that when those activity nights were created, one would
operate from the home station.  Driving out to a portable operating
location every week (or several times, to get every band) would not
have been popular.

  In many areas, there are local nets on the various V/U bands.  Not
the same as an activity night, but they do provide a time that folks
get on.

> rotating through the bands, perhaps.

  Yes, hauling all the bands up for a contest is a major effort if
operating away from home.  Single band is the way to go.

> but I wouldn't want to burn people out.

  Indeed, if the competition were frequent, one might just conclude
"I'll do it next month."

        Alan