[VHFcontesting] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome transverter?

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Apr 25 09:37:00 EDT 2018

LO drift is a big problem. One of the underlying reasons for the results
you have seen is the quality of the crystals that are being supplied to
the transverter manufacturers. Parts that were tested and specified
originally are showing up in later deliveries with just awful
performance.  It is hard for small companies with small production runs
to get anything resulting in repeatable characteristics without
unmanageable lead times. Note that just about every US quartz crystal
manufacturer is no longer in business.  I was given a small frequency
counter as a Christmas present. After a few months, I noticed that the
timebase had shifted by 4 kHz when measuring a signal at 2 MHz. I
thought a jump like that was impossible with Quartz.  No telling what
was left inside the crystal housing to cause it.  My suspicion is that
it was the General Tso's Chicken option.  I just read the book _Crystal
Clear. _It is the story about ramping up to produce crystals for WW2
radios and how the Govt and manufacturers did it.  There were many
pitfalls to overcome and quality issues to address.  Almost all those
companies are now gone.

73

Dave K1WHS