[VHFcontesting] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome transverter?

Kevin Hobbs ve3kh at cogeco.ca
Wed Apr 25 11:27:41 EDT 2018

I think one needs to look at the bigger picture ... the transverter is less
important than getting the entire system right. Often the transverter is
located many dB of coax away in the shack where signals are already lost.
Many people then add a preamp closer to the antenna that overdrives the
front end of the transverter ... it took me years of experimenting with
preamps, cavity input preamps, filters, cable loss, transverters etc before
I found what played together nicely for me for weak signal / EME work in
city locations with large in and out of band signals complicating matters.

These days it costs little $ to input a rock solid frequency reference, and
with a good external preamp (and possibly filter), the transverter itself
becomes a far less critical component in the system ... IMHO

73 Kevin VE3KH