[VHFcontesting] Making roving fun and interesting

Alex alex at kr1st.com
Fri Aug 24 12:03:18 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-23 15:36, JamesDuffey wrote:

> Also, move people up the bands you have when you work them on the
> lower bands. Before you move, though, always ask if there are others
> on frequency who need to work you.

This point bears repeating. I often find rovers at the tail end of a
contact. I see them popping up on the bandscope, tune to the signal only
to hear that they are moving to another band. It often happens that I
get no reply when I call immediately after the Q ended. Perhaps it's
because they are afraid that they are keeping the other station waiting
on the other band. If I'm lucky and caught the new frequency I will will
go there if I have the capability. If they are moving to a band I don't
have have (still building, only 6 and 2 for now), then I lost the the
opportunity.

I have tremendous respect for rovers, and I get great enjoyment out of
working them, especially when I can work them in multiple grids. My wife
and I roved a few times, and that was in an area where there are hardly
even any fixed stations (SC) to work. It's a lot of work. What we
enjoyed most were the visits from folks who we just worked and drove up
to see our setup. Even the visits from the local authorities were
pleasant. This was one of our attempts to create some interest in weak
signal operations in an area where there was virtually none.

I also enjoy reading the post-op rover stories, especially in blog
format with lots of pictures. So please post those if you can. We never
did that ourselves, unfortunately.

73,
--Alex KR1ST (FN21fk)