[VHFcontesting] FT8 contesting

Steve Kavanagh sjkavanagh1 at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 1 21:52:57 EST 2018

Herb

I wonder if editing TX5 (or preparing a canned message instead of) the 73 message (TX5 or TX6) would work for QSYing.  It might take 2 message to send the frequency in full for the higher microwave bands but I think "QSY 10G 110" is short enough.  Most likely you would be starting with FT8 on 6 or 2 metres and switching to something else by the time you got to 222 or 432, so dealing with the long frequencies might not come up (unless you switched to JT65).

To which one could respond with another canned TX5 message of "RR QSY".  You'd need nimble fingers to select the messages quickly enough, but it might work with practice.  Mind you, to include the proposed QSO mode might exceed the number of available characters.

Might be worth some experiments.

73,
Steve VE3SMA