[VHFcontesting] How to order

George Sintchak wa2vnv at optonline.net
Mon Jan 22 15:03:22 EST 2018

I know there is a lot of people thinking that FT8 will dominate activity. I
don't see that happening during a contest when you are running SSB or CW
during an Es opening. FT8 takes too long to complete a contact compared to a
normal fast paced SSB/CW run. Same for RTTY in HF contests - a RTTY fast
contact takes maybe 10 seconds to complete when using a computer run station
with you at the keyboard - not typing on an old model 15 or 28 TTY machine.
(Anyone still use one? I've used both.)
In my experience with FT8 & MSK144, when conditions are normal(?) and
activity is nil, FT8 contacts can be made where you normally can't make it
with conventional modes.  The ~20+ dB advantage receiving into the noise (at
both ends) is just better than the human ear. All that aside, it's just some
more of the fun and technology now available to us. (Flame suit on).

73, George WA2VNV (FN30 & EL96)