[VHFcontesting] Time for a Portable rig upgrade

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Wed Jan 24 13:01:34 EST 2018

For 50 MHz I've enjoyed using my IC7300 while roving.   The band scope is nice and only covering one VHF band isn't that much of a issue for me.  (I find having a radio on 50 MHz all the time helps capitalize of brief band openings.)

I looked at the K3 and the Kenwood TS590sg but felt the IC7300 with the built in band scope was a better fit for my needs.

I am also curious about the FT991 as I'm starting to think about refreshing my 144 and 432 MHz roving radios.  I typically use a pair of Icom 706MkiiG's while roving. The remote control heads are a nice feature in my view.   I've tried a few other radios over the years but keep going back to the Icom 706MkiiG's for the rover.   Still at some point I expect I will need to upgrade.  Although I run a transverter on 222 in the rover I'd prefer to use pre packaged radios for 144 and 432 MHz.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com