[VHFcontesting] K1SIG/R June VHF

Sean Waite waisean at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:07:53 EDT 2018

It's that time again! K1SIG/R is heading out for the June VHF contest.

We should be QRV on the bottom 7 - 6m through 2.4GHz. Microwaves will be
very limited, if we're stopped we'll be happy to work you but we can't
operate it while driving. They are literally set up in a milk crate and
we're using small PCB beams. We'll be primarily SSB, we can kind of do CW,
and we'll have some FM equipment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjSm9DGnIVS/?taken-by=wa1te_radio

The current plan is this:
-Start at Pitcher Mountain, FN33wc. We're not spending long here before
moving to
-FN43bd, park and ride in Hillsborough NH. After another brief stop we'll
head down to
-FN42gw, the Lowes parking lot in Bedford NH. We may spend a bit of time
here, depending on traffic.
-We'll stop briefly again in FN42ho, at the exit 32 rest area on I-495.
-We have a short stop planned in FN41cs, off of Rt 6. We'll work whoever we
can from there. We may stop again in FN41, depending on how we're doing for
time. We then move on to...
-FN31id, a rest area off of I-95. We get brave after this,
-Clipping the NW corner of FN30. I don't know if we'll stop here, it
depends if we can work anyone to activate the grid. Hopefully we don't have
to stop, it's kind of a mess there.
-We then move into FN20. I don't expect a Saturday stop here, but we're
spending a lot of time driving through the grid. We'll be taking the NJ
Turnpike down to the PA Turnpike. We like traffic, apparently.  This is
hopefully where we'll stop for the night, if all goes anywhere close to the
plan.

On Sunday, we will....
-Drop down out of FN20 into FM29hx, the Gauntlet Community Center. We'll
skirt the FM29/FN20 border until we reach
-a Weis parking lot, FM19xx. We'll continue along that same general line
until we reach
-the Paradise Community Park, FN10wa. I don't think we'll spend much time
in FM29/FM19/FN10, but we may stop for a bit.
-We're looking for a spot to stop somewhere near Stroudsburg PA that has
good LOS to Camelback and similar, FN20 is preferred but we're flexible.
-We'll then shoot up 322 through Allentown, cut North along a few roads
until we cross 80, then up 209 to the NJ High Point, FN21qh. We plan to
spend a good bit of time at this location.
-After the high point, we're cutting across 84 to 87. We might be able to
swing an FN22 stop right near that grid intersection, or we may pop over
from Albany into the grid. It depends on time.
-Our final destination is Hogback Mountain, FN32ou. We'll spend the rest of
our time there before heading home.

So, the grid list is:
FN33wc
FN43db
FN42gw
FN41cs
FN31id
FN30...somewhere, will be mobile
FN20...somewhere, will be mobile
FM29hx
FM19xx
FN10wa
FN20...somewhere, looking for a spot near Stroudsburg
FN21qh
FN22...somewhere, maybe
FN32ou

A relaxed 13 grids. We'll be operating on 6-70 while driving, so these
short stops will be made up for with contacts while on the move. Hopefully
we'll manage to tag all of the grids we're only in for a short time. The
plan is to work as many stations as possible, we do need to keep moving so
we'll have to balance that. We've found that skeds don't really work for
us, but we have no problem giving a call or a text if we're stopped in your
vicinity.

We'll be spotting via APRS, I believe we're usually K1SIG-6 but we may be
under more than one tag. APRS spots will be via roverstatus and also I plan
to have spots on 144.390.

There is a very, very slight chance we'll be QRV on 10GHz. If I had another
week or two...

The car has a new clutch, new brakes, new headlights, my registration is no
longer hiding inside of my manual, so hopefully we'll avoid any run-ins
with "the fuzz."

Hope to catch you all on the bands.

73,
Sean Waite, WA1TE (K1SIG/R)