[VHFcontesting] 1296 FT8 frequency standards

James C jabeco at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:54:20 EDT 2018

Hello all,

I've been getting asked why I chose 1296.080 for my FT8 operations.

I've _scoured_ the internet looking for a standard or convention for
terrestrial digital and FT8.. I can't find much of anything.

What I did find was a quote from Joe Taylor regarding FT8 frequencies.

"...add 3 kHz to the
commonly used JT65 dial frequency"

The article is here: http://qrznow.com/new-digital-mode-from-k1jt-ft8/

I used the .076 'standard' for JT65 and rounded up to .080

This also worked well because although there is no standard that I'm aware
of, Most digital operation occurs between 1296.075 and 1296.085. So I went
for Top Dead Center.

I'm open to other ideas or if someone does know of a standard or convention
please let us know.

I'll be aiming West to CN85-CN87 so I'll call second.

GL and 73 .-James K7KQA DN06gg