[VHFcontesting] 500w SSPA's

Randy Wing winger55552001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 09:10:32 EDT 2018

Interested in #3 config. Any pics?  Randy, N0LD.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 6:59 AM, Terry Price<terry at directivesystems.com> wrote:   We pick up the amps tomorrow evening, there are still a few left if anyone
is interested. The reflectors won’t accept pictures so if you want to see
what the amps look like, email me and I’ll send you pix.

The RF desk weights 30#, which means it’s got a decent sized heat sink. I
will test at full output on WSJT to see how hot it gets. It’s 3RU’s high
which is 5 ¼”, 17inches wide and has rack ears to mount in a standard 19”
rack. It’s about 18” deep.

The front panel has many status LED’s on it, if you order #2 or #3 the LEDS
will be labeled as below. We will also add a hole for the bar graph LED
relative power indicator with a red lens on it.

POWER left as is – 50V on

Remote Disable – I’ll cover the word “Disable” and there will be a toggle
switch to enable or disable the remote LNA. LED on = remote LNA on

Thermal shutdown will be re-labeled to say “TX ON”

High Temp – left as is and will be connected to the W6PQL controller

Fan Failure – disconnected

VSWR – as is and connected to W6PQL controller

Gain fault – disconnected

Overdrive – disconnected

I have not tested the power supplies yet but they look like that are a
perfect match for the amps, 50V, 1kW output – 100~240VAC input. We will
install ferrites on the AC and DC lines for noise but ultimately, it’s up to
the end user to deal with any noise. These came from a low noise
installation so I suspect they are relatively quiet. We do not have enough
power supplies to cover all the RF decks so if you already have a 50v ps,
you won’t need another. The HP server supplies that are all over ebay are
fine for these amps also.

We are going to offer these 3 ways:

1.      Basic amp with internal RF relays, W6PQL low pass filter, no
controller, no remote preamp support, no power supply, fans run all the time
(they aren’t noisy at all), 20w nominal input power for 500 watts output. -
$700

2.      Same as #1 but with W6PQL controller which gives remote preamp
support, temperature controlled fans, high temp cutout, front panel mounted
preamp on/off switch. - $900

3.      Same as #2 but we will include an integrated PAG103+ remote preamp
(.5 - .6 dB NF – not the best but a good start and VERY high quality relays)
in a weatherproof enclosure and 200’ of quad shielded RG6 control cable with
F connectors on both ends to mate with the connector on the amp and preamp
box. - $1200

If your exciter won’t put out at least 20w (like and old IC706, internal K3
transverter etc) an extra stage is available we can activate to lower the
drive requirements to a watt or so. We STRONGLY suggest adding an internal
attenuator to protect from overdrive. For the added gain stage and
attenuator it’s an extra $100 and you’ll need to tell us how much drive
you’ll have so we can size the attenuator properly.

The remote preamps will only operate when the power amp is on, this will
protect the preamp since the sequencer will be active. If you forget to plug
in the PTT line from your transceiver/transverter and transmit into the
preamp, the “magic smoke” that makes preamps work will escape and the remote
preamp will become a remote attenuator!!!

Each amp will be tested and leave in 100% working order, it’s up to you to
ensure you have an antenna connected BEFORE you transmit and that antenna
has a reasonable SWR (2:1 or less). It’s also recommended to start with low
drive to determine where your amp starts to saturate.

We will receive the amps next week and hope to have them all ready to go by
the 2nd week of July depending on parts availability.

Please reply direct if you want on the list for one and what configuration
you want.

The K8GP Rover Team

Terry Price – W8ZN

Andy Zwirko – K1RA