[VHFcontesting] Power budget

Dan Evans k9zf at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 21:01:18 EST 2018

Hello group,
I'm putting together a small (12') pull behind trailer for grid hopping / portable operations.  It's actually a 1967 Winnabago that I'm restoring / remodeling.
Anyway, I would like to add a small window unit air conditioner to make summer operating bearable.  The original AC unit is long dead, so I was planning to install a 5000 BTU.  This is the smallest unit I've been able to find.  My question is how much generator am I going to need for this setup?  I know one of the small inverter types should be plenty to run my radio equipment, but will it handle the AC?
I know there are plenty of guys on the list that have been down this road before, so I would appreciate your input!
73Dan
-- K9ZF  Vice President, Clark County Amateur Radio Club,Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover  ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:  List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books  Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!