[VHFcontesting] Rover Logs for LoTW

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 13:36:38 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Steve Kavanagh via VHFcontesting
<vhfcontesting at contesting.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Pete.
>
> I've now put in my certificate request...we'll see how it goes.  To start I hope to upload my 144-1296 MHz QSOs from known locations to LoTW.  I have no idea what to do with mobile QSOs where the 6-character grid is unknown.

Only 4-char grid locators are needed for VUCC (and IGC) which are, at
present, the only thing LOTW credits "count" for.  Could be used in
the future, of course, so you are right to think about it.  Years ago
people refused to bother entering their CQ Zone into their TQSL
location because those "didn't count" ... which was true ... right up
until they did.

OTOH, if you don't know exactly where you were when you made the QSO,
then you don't know exactly where you were when you made the QSO!  I
suppose there is a way to automatically log location when logging
QSOs, but does anyone do that?

There is no restriction on how many locations you can define in TQSL,
so make 6-char locations for when you are stopped and 4-char locations
when you are on the rove.  If you use something like DXKeeper for your
master log, it can handle as many locations as you throw at it as
well.

As for secondary certificates (for portable callsigns), you can sign
those with your initial certificate.  I'm pretty sure that's true even
if you aren't an FCC-licensed station.  Certainly I was able to
request and receive a cert for N5UWY/VE2 (and N5UWY/9) just by signing
the request in TQSL using my N5UWY certificate.