[VHFcontesting] Listening for 50 MHz band openings while roving ?

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Fri May 18 13:55:09 EDT 2018

Hi:

I'd be curious in hearing from other rovers about your plans for listening for band openings during contests on 50 MHz going forwards.   My prior approach was to listen to 50.125 on a whip antenna while moving from site to site (in prior years while driving although I now have a short whip for my back pack setup as well.)

Anyways I haven't heard much on 50.125 these days but am hearing audio on 50.313 via a three foot whip on my back pack setup so I suspect there is some form of a band opening (or there are a lot of stations within ground wave range of a three foot whip which I suspect is unlikely.)

At this point I'm leaning towards simply listening for audio on 50.313 while moving then stopping and setting up the computer and hopefully getting a few more multipliers during band openings during the next contest.

I suppose a radio with "dual watch" (i.e. listen to 50.125 and 50.313 at the same time) would also help.

It be curious in hearing from other rovers (or anyone else) about this topic.   I don't see my self making "in motion" on FT8 but if some one has ideas about that topic I'd be interested in hearing them as well.

73 and hope to work many of you during the June contest.

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com
604 762 4099