[VHFcontesting] Elecraft K2 above 29 MHz as IF Radio

Steve Kavanagh sjkavanagh1 at yahoo.ca
Sat May 19 15:50:33 EDT 2018

The K2 is specified to operate on 10m only up to 28.8 MHz.  While contemplating possible future VHF rigs for a multi-operator multi-band environment, I have wondered about using a K2 as an IF for VHF transverters at around 29-29.4 MHz (to avoid interference with bands using 28 MHz IF).

Both of my K2s seem to operate (VFO synthesizer works) up to 30 MHz.  At 29.5 MHz the available transmit power (QRP) is starting to drop off and this is quite noticeable at 30 MHz.  The QRP PA efficiency drops off somewhat as well.  There are a few receive birdies on the 100 watt radio, but the QRP one is pretty quiet - nothing that should be noticeable under the extra noise coming from a transverter.  Turning the preamp on makes extra noise as it should (but it is after the bandpass filters so that doesn't mean a whole lot).  But it seems that it should work ok as long as I don't want more than 4-5 watts (most likely I'd use a K60XV), perhaps with a bit of bandpass filter tweaking.

Are there any caveats that I am unaware of?  Spurious emissions, perhaps?  Has anyone tried using their K2 above 29 MHz?

73,
Steve VE3SMA