[VHFcontesting] WSJT-Xand FT-8

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Mon May 28 11:29:06 EDT 2018

Interesting..   Comments like this present me with a minor dilemma about what frequency to "listen for band openings" on 50 MHz while driving when roving (:   At this point I'm expecting there will be more activity on FT8 and hence a greater likelihood of detecting a band opening.  It will interesting to see what happens during the contest.  A good problem to have I suppose.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com
604 762 4099

> On May 28, 2018, at 7:59 AM, Keith Morehouse <w9rm at calmesapartners.com> wrote:
>
> My understanding is that DXpedition mode is NOT for the "casual" user -
> even big-time contest stations.
>
> I will be one of the operators at multi-op effort W5UHF from DM75.  I plan
> to use NO WSJT-X mode if the band is open.  I want to be able to work
> 250/hour on SSB not 50/hour on FT8.
>
> All CONTESTERS should want to do this... If the band is marginal, have at
> FT8 - we will be there also !
>
> Also, please remember FT8 works very POORLY in a not-so-dense meteor
> scatter environment.  If you hear meteors, you should be around 50.260 or
> 144.140 using MSK144 (or high speed CW below 50.100 - wink), NOT FT8 or
> JT65 !  And, you should at least have one eye on PingJockey....
>

> -W9RM
>
> Keith J Morehouse
> Managing Partner
> Calmesa Partners G.P.
> Olathe, CO
>

>>> On May 28, 2018, at 7:24 AM, Stu <stu at stu2labs.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Which version of WSJT-X are people planning to use for the upcoming VHF
>> contest?
>>>
>>> Do people plan to use the FT-8 DXpedition mode? The documentation sounds
>> like this should be done on a different frequency than 50.313 because of
>> the way WSJT manages the QSO.
>>>
>>> BTW - the W4IY group will be QRV for the contest on Flagpole Knob, VA.
>> FM08jm. Bottom 4 bands.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Stu2,