[VHFcontesting] Testing IC-7300 for TX power overshoot

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Thu Oct 4 20:33:07 EDT 2018

Hello John and other VHF Contesters.....I may be completely lost here,
but I thought that the "ICOM spike" occurred when PTT was pushed just at
the first of a transmission......The overshoot was in the first few
milliseconds of TX, not at key-up.  The causes are poor design and have
been around for years.  There have been several different "work
arounds", but that is what they are.  They are not fixes.

I use the transverter port on my Pro2s and Pro3s to run my
transverters.  Those ports are supposed to be -20dbm.....1/100th of a
milliwatt.  You cant hurt anything with that, so even if there is a
spike, it is so low that no harm is done.

I am also not an instrumentation guy, so it would be nice to see how
this spike is measured.  You would have to have a very fast scope to see
the spike, but certainly there are such instruments running around.

If I am completely lost on this, here is the chance for the real experts
to beat me up......HI.

73 Marshall K5QE