[VHFcontesting] Sizing a horn for a dish

kb8u vhf kb8u_vhf at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 29 14:32:05 EDT 2018

The horn you have sounds like it's too big and you will not be effectively illuminating the whole dish if you try to use it.  It has too much gain so the beam width is too narrow.  If you moved the feed further away from the dish it would then be illuminating the whole dish, but then it would no longer be at the focal point so that won't work either.  There's also the issue of how uniformly the dish is illuminated.  In short, a feed horn has to be sized to illuminate the whole dish from the focal point taking into account the shape of the dish (f/D ratio).

I built a small horn to feed my dish at 10 GHz based on information from the W1GHZ microwave antenna book.  See figure 6.4-11 in http://www.w1ghz.org/antbook/chap6-4a.pdf
I think I ran the HDL_ANT program mentioned to generate the template.  It was pretty easy to do.  I later swapped it out for one of these: http://www.chaparral.net/feed-horns/offset-straight-feedhorn/ but I honestly didn't notice a huge improvement (but I did not actually make any measurements nor try to adjust anything for best performance).

Very 73, Russ  KB8U
11/12 GHz Offset Straight Feedhorn | Chaparral Satellite Components<http://www.chaparral.net/feed-horns/offset-straight-feedhorn/>
www.chaparral.net
11/12 GHz Offset Straight Feedhorn. View our entire line of

W1GHZAntenna Book W1GHZ<http://www.w1ghz.org/antbook/chap6-4a.pdf>
www.w1ghz.org
As a simple example of a conical horn antenna, I took the NEC model for a large W2IMU dual-mode feed in Figure 6.5-2 and removed the output section, leaving only the flared section as a conical