[VHFcontesting] 422-449 MHz UHF being jammed by Fallon NAS/FTTR.

Michael Clarson wv2zow at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 11:59:24 EDT 2019

Jay: We are only secondary to authorized primary users. A story: Back in
the late 1970s, our group operated a 440 repeater in Northern New Jersey.
One day, this really raucous buzz that varied in strength appeared on our
output. It was loud. It sounded broadband. Checking with some other
repeater owners and our local police. They had a 450+ MHz channel.  but it
didn't bother them much. The noise would be around for a week or so, then
be gone for about a month. One day, it was particularly bad, and one of our
guys "had enough". He figured the source was military. On our autopatch, he
calls information, asking for the number of the Navy. Operator had quite a
few, then mentioned there was one in Perth Amboy. "Give me that one."  He
calls the number, and he gets the radio operator on a ship in port!  What
luck! He explains our problem, radio operator offers to give a listen.
Sure enough, he hears it and confirms it is a radar. He also said it is not
supposed to be there -- no 450 MHz radars allowed around here. Radio
operator speculated it was from a ship from somewhere where 450 is still
used for radar that travels here occasionally. He offered to see what he
can do. The noise disappeared in a few days, and has yet to return.

The moral: Just because we are secondary, don't assume the interference is
primary, or that the primary user will not cooperate with us to minimize
interference. Track it down, and don't be afraid to "call the Navy".
--Mike, WV2ZOW