[VHFcontesting] DM02 San Clemente Island FM

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Sun Aug 11 01:35:51 EDT 2019

Off the island and back in DC.  So close to pulling this off.  I had only about 15 minutes of air time on Thursday in DM02 late morning.   Our ops schedule changed daily.  I did not clearance to work at 50W but I did at 5W.  Worked day and night ops for the full week.  Work, chow and sleep took priority.

On 8 Aug at 0138 local (early Thursday morning) I posted that I would be on the air "tomorrow" 1630-1730 local which was taken as Friday the 9th, I should have said Thursday since technically tomorrow at 0138 would be Friday.

Setting up for Thursday ops I had a short break in the late morning and called CQ with the HT on 146.520.  I immediately  got one reply with a 5-9+ report from LA,.  Ducting was awesome.

We FINEXed at 1630 Thursday as planned but rather than get on the air I needed to haul dudes back to the chow hall so they could eat before RTB (I had the only 6pax truck).  By the time I got done with that (1900) the range was closed and I was stuck at 200' in DM03 (a common grid) instead of DM02 at 1,100 ft.

I hope to go back out in November and bring an SSB/FM rig with a tape measure Yagi Uda for 2m and try again.

73
John
KM4KMU