[VHFcontesting] polyphaser vhf/uhf RF surge protector

Chet S chetsubaccount at snet.net
Wed Dec 18 17:53:40 EST 2019

Fellow contesters,

FYI:
Fair Radio has Polyphaser IS-50NX-C1-ME RF surge protectors at a price of
$20 ($15 if you buy 5 or more).
See top of page https://fairradio.com/coax-connectors/
I needed a few so this was a nice savings for me.

A data sheet for this family is here:
https://www.polyphaser.com/Images/Downloadables/Datasheets/IS-50_Series.pdf

I modified mine. They can be opened by putting the unit in a vise to hold
it, and then heating the screws with a butane torch to loosen up the thread
locking compound.
I removed the DC blocking capacitor, changed the gas tube to one having a
higher breakdown voltage in case the swr got a bit high, and changed some
from N connectors to standard SO239's which mount in the same holes as the
N's. Continue to use the brass strip inside to keep the impedance thru them
OK.

Yes, I disconnect feedlines at the shack end when lightning is threatening,
but these will protect those feedlines, connectors, remote relays etc. from
insulation breakdown and arcing from nearby surges.

73 and Merry Xmas,
Chet, N8RA, FN31lu