[VHFcontesting] [nmvhf] 2019 January VHF Contest Results on Line

John Kludt johnnykludt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 07:15:13 EDT 2019

Mike,

All interesting view points.  I do wonder if we are asking the wrong
question, however.  In our VHF contesting group we have been discussing the
"6m problem" for some time now beginning long before the advent of FT8.  It
has been the case for some time now that if 6m is open, the upper bands
starting with 2m see a significant decrease in activity.  FT8 simply has
accelerated the trend.

So maybe the question isn't, "Are SSB and CW compatible with FT8?"  Maybe
the question is, "Should 6m be included in VHF contesting?"  I understand
this is a long standing debate.

   - All modern HF rigs include 6m - if you have an HF rig you are ready
   with another antenna to contest on 6m as it is just another choice on the
   band switch. If you are set up for HF FT8 you are set up for 6m FT8. Not so
   with 2m and above with the exception of the FT 8xx type of transceivers
   - 6m probably has more in common with 10m than it has with 2m.  A
   contest for 6 & 10 might be an interesting event.  Two meters would then be
   the "low band" for VHF contesting.

Not wanting to write and you not wanting to read a dissertation, I will
leave it at that,  To cure the patient one needs the correct diagnosis.
The problem we are seeing is the decrease in activity 2m and up.  While FT8
may be exacerbating the problem, I am not convinced it is the root or only
cause of the problem at hand.

John