[VHFcontesting] Digital Modes (FT8) in January 2019 Contest

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Wed Jun 19 19:04:22 EDT 2019

I'm still un decided about the digital mode issue for VHF and up contesting.

I like the process gain that the digital modes can provide for making contacts under difficult conditions and or exploiting propagation modes such as meteor scatter on the higher bands etc and I'm hesitant to give them up.   That being said, I'm not a fan of using FT8 or other similar modes when the signal levels are high enough for traditional modes.   I'm also not a fan of cramming all the FT8 traffic on a given VHF or higher band into a single SSB audio channel and that style of operation has little appeal to me.

At this point if I had to choose between analog or using FT8 I expect I would typically choose analog.  For the time being my approach is to only run digital modes when I am not making any headway on analog modes and to try and get other stations to move away from the 50 MHz FT8 calling channel.

I'll be curious to see what happens with regards to digital mode operations and VHF and up contesting.    I was encouraged that I was able to detect a band opening on 50.125 with a simple whip antenna on my rover during the last contest and picked up an extra multiplier that way (:

Although I did work out a way to  detect band openings on the FT8 calling channel while driving (thanks to some help from some other hams) waiting for my computer to verbally announce that there is a "new grid" isn't as appealing to me as listening to static on 50.125 while driving between grids.   I don't think I will ever rove again with the computer doing the work of detecting band openings on 50 MHz.  It just doesn't seem like ham radio to me (:

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com