[VHFcontesting] It was asked why do I bother with LOTW...

K7XC Tim Marek k7xcnv1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:31:38 EDT 2019

 Hi Folks,

I was asked why do I bother with using LOTW on VHF when its clear LOTW was
never meant to confirm VHF+ QSOS as it was originally developed only for HF
DXers and Contesters. It works Kinda quirky above 30MHZ, the extra
workarounds one has to do at times when inputting a log from multiple
grids, etc... The rules are clear if you just read the guidelines.

Here is a prime example of why I LOVE LOTW... Yesterday I Worked a ZF1 and
three V31's on 50.313 6M FT8... All new grids and more importantly 2 NEW
DXCC Countries!

So I wait a day and check my VUCC stats a bit ago only to find that two of
the three V31's and the ZF1 are now Confirmed via LOTW! That's why I bother
with LOTW! No Paper QSLs, NO addressing envelopes, licking stamps, adding
dollars for return postage, and of course the wait that can last at times,
well over 20 yrs!

Using LOTW and Two New DXCC confirmed on 6M in less than a day!

LOTW is a great tool if you make the effort to understand it and play buy
the rules and limitations therein.

That puts me 1/3 of the way towards 6M DXCC with only 50W to100W out
depending how old the radio felt that day!

Now to find the last 30 grids for 6M FFMA!

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09jh... sk

Adapt, Overcome, Succeed!