[VHFcontesting] FT4 mode

John Kludt johnnykludt at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:59:13 EDT 2019

Marshall,

Very helpful and I think I better understand the issue.  Yes, good ops can
really go as long as there are two conditions that are being met:

   1. Band conditions support the high q-rate
   2. There is a large pool of search and pounce stations available to
   "make the call."

In the pre-FT8 days everyone had a role to play and those roles were pretty
much known.  Those who did not know CW had SSB as their only choice and
would dutifully tune up and down the band, looking for run stations to
contact.

FT8 and soon FT4 have/will change all of that as there is now an
alternative to SSB.  While condition 1 might be met (good band opening)
condition 2 (lots of S&P operators) might not be true.

It would be interesting to know the  run rate for the 100-500 watt S&P
stations on which the big guns depend for their contacts.  My hunch is it
does not approach 150-200 q's /hr.   It could well be for them (me, when I
am at home)  going to FT8 makes logical sense.  And therein may lie the rub
as every S&P station that goes to FT8 is one less station for a SSB big gun
to work.  Keeping S&P stations on SSB might require some thought as to how
to make it more productive form them to improve their score while staying
on SSB.  S&P is hard and if a little pistol can do almost as well ( not
sure if that is true or if there is any data one way or the other) by going
to FT8 isn't that the logical move for them?

Interesting times in which we live.  Technology changes are always a
challenge and figuring out how the new and the old mess together is top of
the list once the new technology has been around a while.

John