[VHFcontesting] Conversion from 3/16" to 1/4" elements on VHF Yagi

Byron Tatum bjtatum1 at att.net
Mon May 20 12:15:36 EDT 2019

A quick question to the antenna modeling gurus here -         I am preparing to clean-up and rebuild some 144 Mhz M2 2M12 yagis. I have recently relocated to a more rural QTH and am concerned about larger birds getting on my yagis. The towers are in the 130' height range. I am studying changing out my parasitic elements from 3/16" to 1/4" rod. I plan to use the correction as detailed in the ARRL Antenna Handbook 22nd edition for the K1FO/DL6WU high performance 144 Mhz yagis section 15.3.5 page 15-27. Since 1/4" rod parasitic elements are used in the 144 Mhz designs it is stated that the element lengths need to be lengthened by 3mm if 3/16" elements are substituted. So, my thinking is to replace my 3/16" parasitic elements with 1/4" ones that are 3mm shorter in length. As far as my knowledge goes I should not be detrimentally affecting the antenna (electrically) in any way, but I thought I would ask.     Thanks, Byron W5FH