[VHFcontesting] HARA ARENA RIP

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Tue May 28 17:18:53 EDT 2019

Hara was a Special Place

I only went to Hara once, 2015.  Despite what it was the memories are great. I got my Techicians, challenged by Gordon West I went back and got my General the next day.  Wandering he labyrinth of rooms and halls was a challenge, especially while dodging the horse tanks strategically located to catch a  few of the worst roof leaks.  Every step was accompanied by the ghosts of many Hamventions past.  Every step was one my Dad took many decades earlier another spirit moving me forward.

In my coldest assessment it was a dying venue that reinforced a sense of Amateur radio being a dying activity.  Despite that. I will always be proud to say I was there and was licensed there. In a romantic sense I miss it, but I am glad it's gone.

I applaud the move to Xenia.  Fresh bright, clean, more energetic, smiling people and laughter.  The crowd seemed a little younger on average and it has the feel of a high tech good times county fair (for good reason).  In a couple decades Xenia will begin to wear a historic mantle but even then Hara will hold a special place with me despite its multitude of warts.

John
KM4KMU