[VHFcontesting] We're about to lose 3456 MHz band entirely

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Mon Nov 25 12:45:05 EST 2019

I wonder what has changed to cause continued amateur use of the band to apparently be subject to deletion ?

When I was involved in a project in Canada that looked at using similar spectrum professionally approx 5 years ago, from my perspective the regulators in Canada seemed supportive of continued amateur access on a shared basis to at least some of the band.  At the time I thought the increasing commercial use might have been a good thing for amateurs as relatively low priced broad band equipment was becoming available.  To be transparent I don't have any current insight into the Canadian plans for this band.

My $.02 worth, the amateur community would be better off looking for smaller chunks of microwave spectrum that can realistically be shared with other users (and trying to partner with those spectrum users) rather than trying to fight for the entire shared allocations we currently have.  In my view some professional users might be more willing to share than others (if only to make it harder for the spectrum they use to be eventually taken over by other users.)  I realize this may make co ordinated world wide allocations difficult, but some hard choices may need to be made.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com