[VHFcontesting] N1BUG SEP VHF results

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Sep 17 09:02:53 EDT 2019

Call: N1BUG
Operator(s): N1BUG
Station: N1BUG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN55
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:   35    18
    2:   36    17
  222:   15    10
  432:   15     9
-------------------
Total:  101    54  Total Score = 7,074

I had fun despite some discouraging trends. Operating time was
limited due to continuation of extreme time pressures with critical
home improvement/rescue projects. I was on mainly Saturday and a few
hours early Sunday morning.

Saturday started off great. I thought I had suddenly become popular!
Later that delusion was ruined when I realized it was just unusually
good conditions! I was finding the pace frantic at times as I
struggled to run through bands with one station and get on to the
next. Sunday was back to normal with QSOs being very hard to come by
except for an early run of meteor scatter on 6.

This time I operated digital in addition to SSB/CW. I continue to
find FT8 to be not much fun at all. Furthermore I am extremely
disturbed and frustrated that emphasis on FT8 on 6 and 2 is limiting
availability of stations to run higher bands with. I missed several
key stations on 222 and 432 because I never heard them on SSB or CW
to make arrangements for running bands. I even missed a couple of
stations I have never before failed to work on the higher bands if I
had them. Very discouraging.

Bottom line: I love VHF/UHF, but excluding the homeless I am one of
this country's lowest income citizens through no fault of my own.
I've had a lot of help rebuilding the station over the past three
years and I am extremely grateful. Still, I would be willing to bet
I have spent a higher percentage of my income on ham radio during
this period than virtually anyone. That involves sacrifice
everywhere else in life. It is very disheartening to put this kind
of all-out effort into station building at a time when the available
reward is diminishing.

Nevertheless I have decided to press on. My dream station would
include all bands through 10G. That will never happen, it's simply
too expensive. This winter I hope to complete projects to further
improve 222 and 432 as well as eliminate an intermittent relay
problem on 2 meters which is driving me nuts. I have managed to
collect bits and pieces for 1296 but am still a long way from a
complete setup. I have no idea when I will be able to make the
investment to get 1296 operational but eventually I expect it will
happen. Further down the road I hope to add 903 and if someday I win
the lottery, maybe 10G.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55MF