[VHFcontesting] Changing from WSJT to SSB...

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Wed Sep 18 13:54:32 EDT 2019

Interesting..  Back when I was more interested in WSJT I briefly ran two laptops in my rover (for 50 and 144 MHz.)  It didn't occur to me to try and run both bands on a single computer.   I will revisit this if my interest level in WSJT goes back up.

Going back to the original topic, I used to enjoy being able to easily transition between FSK441 and SSB (on the same frequency.)  All I had to do was disable TX on WSJT.   No need to QSY or push any buttons on the radio.  The radio I used at the time was smart enough to mute the microphone audio when it was keyed via the data connector.   When I pressed the PTT switch on the microphone I could talk to people.  It all seemed easy and logical at the time (:

Other operators seemed ok with brief SSB calls on FSK441 frequencies when signal levels were high enough, and one could arrange to go to higher bands etc.   I miss the old days (:  I suspect using SSB voice on the FT8 calling frequency would not be appreciated by many operators today.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com