[VHFcontesting] K1DY Sept contest

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 19 12:06:17 EDT 2019

score plus my $.02  - bill

ARRL September VHF Contest - 2019

Call: K1DY
Operator(s): K1DY
Station: K1DY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN54jq
Operating Time (hrs): 5

    6:  19     11
    2:  25     14
  222:   6      5
  432:   7      5
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  57     35  Total Score = 2,450

Club:

Comments:

operated at the start of the contest for a few hours and then here and there on
Saturday night and Sunday. operated FT-8 on both 6 and 2 and it certainly helped
me work some weak stations (new grids) that I would have otherwise been unable
to work. Downside, of course, is getting stuck on FT-8 and increased difficulty
moving up the bands. Hard to say how it all washes out, but my guess is that if
FT-8 didn't exist (i.e. everyone had to be on SSB [FM] and CW) with the same
band conditions my score would have been the same or a little better.. More QSO
points and maybe the same number of grids.. Of course I only operated 5 hours.
BUT, if this is the trend, I am pretty happy that in my downsizing of the
station (in my old age.. hah hah, I have been VHF contesting for over 60
years!), I decided to concentrate on the lower 4 eventually with power and
forego 903 and up. What I really take away from the general move to FT-8 at the
expense of the higher bands, is that contesting just isn't that much fun for me
any more. I really like actually talking (if even briefly) to old ham friends
that I don't see much any more.. or, as someone said, just hearing that dit dit
at the end of a CW contact.