[VHFcontesting] Harris amp on 222

Nathaniel Lee n1bnc at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 12:51:34 EDT 2020

That’s a warm amplifier.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, April 18, 2020, 12:21 PM, N1BUG <paul at n1bug.com> wrote:

I have one of the Harris channel 11 amps which I use on 222. I have been
somewhat disappointed with it. A friend bought one from the same source
and reported it would do 1100 watts out (He backed off and ran it at
less, I think). Mine maxes out at 800W out with 45W drive. It will not
do any more no matter how hard it is driven. That is with 51V under load
from a power supply that is more than capable. I haven't been able to
find the reason why mine is so much lower than another. I will add that
as received the bias was *way* off on some of the FETs. I went through
the bias setting procedure per the Harris manual but it did not get me
any more output. Some of the quarter modules run cooler than others. I
think they are just tired and need new FETs. The efficiency is the same
as you are seeing: in my case 1800W input for 800W out.

73,
Paul N1BUG