[VHFcontesting] FT8 on 222 & 432 during SPRINT

James C jabeco at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:08:09 EDT 2020

I don't care about 432 digital other then the established eme sub band,
However I can speak to 222 digi with plenty of actual on the air
experience.

222.080 is a 'catch all' frequency. I've run JT65, MSK, FSK, ISCAT & FT8 on
222.080.
I've never seen or heard of random activity on 222 digi. Every Q is by sked
or chat board. This makes using .080 pretty easy.

Occasionally you'll run with a guy who wants to qsy up or down a couple but
normally this is due to a birdie or other issue. I've never ran into an
issue with different modes colliding and hilarity ensuing.

Bottom line, 'Boots on the ground'  222 operators out West (and EME) use
.080 for all digi modes and for that matter very seldom ever see anyone
trying to use MSK144 on 222 anyway. 9.7 with Single Tone FSK441 is used as
standard for MS.

If you've taken umbridge with .080 as a catch-all then run your sked
wherever you want. The guys who are active outside of the contests
(die-hards) will probably continue to use .080 +/-. on a sked basis.

.-James K7KQA DN06