[VHFcontesting] Fw: VHF Test 50 mhz

Herb Krumich wa2fgk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 12:42:24 EST 2020

 I had a free weekend and decided to put an effort into this weekend VHF contest.As in years past, it's a 50/50 chance of getting through the weekend due to winter icing.The big difference is I only now have 6 meters instead of a 10 band system.Certainly makes life easier going into my later years.Saturday late afternoon, the band erratically open to the south, and Sunday late afternoonto the mid-west.  Pre contest I set a goal of 50 grids for the weekend.I knew I would have to work a decent amount of stations using meteors with MSK144.I was disappointed in the meteor activity, although those worked certainly helped my totals.Most of my contacts were done on FT8, other than the beginning of the contest.I do have one complaint to the VHF communityWhen the band opens for an hour or two, get off of FT8. Several times I moved to SSB duringsmall openings, and never saw a signal. I can work 3 stations on SSB, vs. the timeit takes to make one FT8 contact. It's a great mode, but certainly slower than SSB.Within the last week, I down loaded V2.1.2.Over the weekend, some contacts were lost, due to compatibility.
I did learn to click RRR which would be read by the other ops program, so we couldcomplete the contact. I'm sure those who gave up from repetitive transmissions, thoughtI was an idiot.Thanks for the fun. Stay warm on the next few weeks of bitter weatherThanks for the Q'sHerb K2LNSUsing the old call WA2FGK FN2150 mhz Single op HP
QSO's 261  Grids  64 = 16,700