[VHFcontesting] Weird ft8 contact on 2M. Did anyone else see it?

Alexander Svirsky as at shawsheen.com
Mon Jan 20 13:09:30 EST 2020

Paul, I'm sure you're talking about a weird FT8 reception and not a 2-way QSO.

I have also seen something like this happen. Last summer when I left
the radio and the computer on overnight after a contest I apparently
received one side of a QSO attempt in the South Pacific, on 432 IIRC.
I have no explanation for this.

My WSJT-X installation on Linux apparently by default saves a sound
recording of every 15-second window, and it saves a log of all
messages received and sent. I have set aside the sound samples and log
entries of that reception.

Perhaps you also have the sound samples and original log entries for
your reception. Check you WSTJ-X folders to see if you have them. I'm
not sure how to recreate them easily as WSJT-X "playbacks" to see what
really happened. I've thought about dedicating a computer and radio to
just logging VHF FT8 freqs for crazy receptions like this, but I'm
sure the sound files would eat up disk space quickly.

I don't think we're seeing a software issue. The message wasn't random
and the grid square and the calls received make sense. I suspect that
VHF freqs sometimes bounce and propagate in unexpected ways and the
FT8 algorithm may be sufficient to decode a mouse fart on the other
side of the planet.

Alexander N1PRW