[VHFcontesting] Arrl Jan 2020 VHF Contest N4BRF / WA2VNV

SINTCHAK wa2vnv at optonline.net
Mon Jan 20 22:44:00 EST 2020

Call: N4BRF
Operator(s): WA2VNV
Station: N4BRF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EL96vk
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Band: QSOs, Grids
6: 5, 4
2: 16, 8
222: 1, 1
432: 7, 3
1.2: 2, 1
Total: 31, 17 Total Score 765

Comments:
I could only operate 4 hours on Saturday due to family visiting South Florida from the cold North. Didn't they know it was the contest weekend?!? I had the usual Murphy problems hit my 6 meter xmtr after only making a few Q's on FT8 with the band open with some Es. No more 6 meter xmit. 432 developed a 3:1 SWR of unknown origin & the mast preamp was getting paralyzed by a local TV transmitter - this was new to my setup. It took a while to figure out that I could hear stations with the preamp power off by disconnecting the power feed to the preamp. With the power connected, the built in xmit power sensor would switch itself out with a ~2 sec delay after transmitting where I could briefly hear a station. After getting that resolved, I could make some normal contacts even with the high SWR.
Anyway, I had a good time even if for only for a few hours.
73's George WA2VNV at N4BRF

.end